Register to Vote


To register to vote in Steuben County, you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States (Includes those persons born in Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
  • Be a Steuben County resident for at least 30 days.
  • Be 18 years of age before the next election.
  • Not be serving a jail sentence or be on parole for a felony conviction.
  • Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court.
  • Not claim the right to vote elsewhere

Although you can register any time during the year, your registration form must be delivered or mailed at least 25 days before the next election for it to be effective for that election.

Register In Person -- OR -- Register By Mail

Party Affiliation in New York State
The form contains a section where you can indicate your choice for party affiliation. If you would like to register without designating a party, simply mark the space indicating "I do not wish to enroll in a party." 

The following parties are recognized in New York State:

  • Democratic
  • Republican
  • Conservative
  • Working Families
  • Green
  • Libertarian
  • Independence
  • SAM

Party Affiliation and the Primary System 

In a Primary Election, only voters registered with one of the parties qualified to hold a primary may vote to nominate their party's candidate to run in the general election.

Candidates nominated by the parties for each office then appear on the general election ballot, along with any independent candidates who gain access to the general ballot without running in the party primaries.

Voting in Primary Elections 
Because a primary is strictly a party election, only voters registered with one of the parties conducting a primary may participate in that party's election. Voters registered without party affiliation may vote only in General and Special Elections.

To Change Your Party Affiliation 
You can change your party affiliation by obtaining a Voter Registration Form, indicating the change and sending it to the Board of Elections. We will process the information and send you a new voter card reflecting the change in party. You cannot CHANGE your enrollment and vote in the NEW PARTY of your choice in the same year. Please Note: a change of party enrollment will go into effect one week following the General Election. The last day to change your enrollment is the same as the last day to register for the General Election (25 days prior to the date of the General Election).


What the Law Says 
Your residence address determines the particular contests in which you are eligible to vote. Because of the role that one's address plays in the electoral system, New York State law requires voters to notify the Board of Elections within 25 days of an address change to preserve their voting rights.

To Make Changes to Your Registration 
You must notify the Board of Elections, in writing, to make any change to your registration (change of address or name). You may send us the change on a Registration form.

Click here to print a United States Post Office Change of Address Form 

Controls for Keeping a Registration Current 

The Board has developed two programs:

  • The Board of Elections compares its file of registered voters to a file received from the United States Postal Service (USPS) of people who have submitted a change of address. For voters that match, the Board of Elections sends a confirmation notice to indeed verify if the voter has moved.
  • Reports received by state/county agencies (Mental Health, Corrections, Health Dept., Motor Vehicles, etc.) as mechanisms for keeping the voter registry current.

New York State Voter's Bill of Rights 

Reply email: